TOP 6 TOXIC FABRICS
1. Polyester is the worst fabric you can buy. It is made from synthetic polymers that are made from esters of dihydric alcohol and terpthalic acid.
2. Acrylic fabrics are polycrylonitriles and may cause cancer, according to the EPA.
3. Rayon is recycled wood pulp that must be treated with chemicals like caustic soda, ammonia, acetone and sulphuric acid to survive regular washing and wearing.
The cheap and unidentified fabric usually contains many toxic chemicals
4. Acetate and Triacetate are made from wood fibers called cellulose and undergo extensive chemical processing to produce the finished product.
5. Nylon is made from petroleum and is often given a permanent chemical finish that can be harmful. It takes at least 50 washings to minimize the toxins.
6.Vinyl involves harmful chemicals that can be transferred to the skin when used. vinyl production has high amounts of chlorine that makes it hazardous for babies. Merely inhaling a material made from vinyl can have serious health risks.
Anything static resistant, stain resistant, permanent press, wrinkle-free, stain proof or moth repellant. Many of the stain resistant and wrinkle-free fabrics are treated with perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs), like Teflon.